Sunday, December 11, 2011

Collin County Ballet Theatre Sugar Plum Fairy Tea 2011

My daughter Alden and I attended the Collin County Ballet Theatre's Sugar Plum Fairy Tea today at the Westin Stonebriar. It was a whimsical afternoon of sweets treats, festive decorations, and lovely young dancers adorned in beautifully fashioned Nutcracker attire.

What a joy and blessing it was to be able to spend quality time with my precious little girl along with a few of our special friends.

The last time I was at the Westin Stonebriar I was spending time with another special person in my life - my brand new husband. How fun to be back! Memories of soft downy bedding and an awesome breakfast flooded my mind as I pulled into the parking lot.

Their ballroom was the perfect setting for a magical day - especially with the bright pink lights (every girl's favorite color) and grand chandeliers. And any wait staff that can keep up with my daughter's hot-cocoa refill demands is top notch in my book.

As lovely as the atmosphere was, I have to tell you I was thrilled to be able to document it all with my trusty camera in hand.

I know. I know. I'm supposed to be "on a sabbatical", right?

While I am very much enjoying my short break from client work..it is SO GREAT to pick up the camera "for me" again. Some people scrapbook. I take pictures and blog. What can I say? It's my thing. It's what I do! It's what I enjoy!

Take a look!

Even the wording on the program is magical. Alden wants to keep hers for her scrap book. (Yes, she does have one. I promise I'll finish it before she gets married.)


The lobby was full of exquisite Nutcracker ornaments and crafts for sale. Alden chose a pink ballerina that is now hanging on our tree at home. The ballerina slipper you see below was hand-painted by one of the 16 year-old dancers. I'm in awe of her talent! (If anyone knows her name, let me know. They were out of business cards.)

The polka dot hat boxes adorned each table along with yummy treats. Alden had never seen so many glasses on a table before. "You mean I get water and hot chocolate?" she exclaimed.




Once the program began, Alden was in heaven! At one moment I looked over and noticed a look of genuine awe spread across her face as she fastened her gaze upon a group of dancers standing nearby. When they came near and offered to take a picture with her, she was beside herself - speechless almost (which is saying quite a bit if you know her). In her mind, I'm pretty sure she believed they were celebrities.

It was so sweet!


And so were the treats!

I think Alden had about four cups of hot chocolate. Giving her a run for her money...our friends Victoria and Addyson.

And check out the party favors. Aren't these yarn cupcake ornaments adorable? Love them!


Following the first round of treats, we were all introduced to the cast of characters as they paraded through the room circling around each table. Again Alden was mesmerized.

As was Victoria...



After a short story, we were treated to a selection of scenes from the ballet company's upcoming performance of the Nutcracker.

I just love how all the girls ran up to the edge of the stage to get a closer look - with their mommy's cell-phones in hand to take pictures. Gotta love technology!



After the performance I saw several of the girls running around collecting autographs from the various performers. What an honor for those girls who worked so hard to put on such a great show.

Wondering whether or not this new experience would spur interest in Alden's heart to become a dancer, I asked her if she wanted to take ballet lessons so that she could learn how to dance like that.

"No. Not really," she stated rather matter of factly. "Maybe when I'm older."

I guess we'll stick to gymnastics - and Tea Parties - for the time being.

. . . . . . . .

You'll want to keep your eye out for next year's Sugar Plum Fairy Tea. Tickets sell out fast, and you won't want to miss it!

And while you're at it, pencil in some "me time" at the Westin.

Hmmm...I'm thinking I need a mommy vacation...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!