Wednesday, August 12, 2009

An Old-Time Summer Family Session {Farmers Branch Historical Park, TX/Allen, TX Family Photography}


I met Kathleen through a client of mine who does Creative Memories. One of Mandy's fellow Creative Memories consultants had a client who needed family pictures during her daughter and grandson's upcoming visit to Texas, so she referred her to my website. (Thanks so much, Pam!)

Kathleen's daughter Aimee was planning an August trip to visit her parents - not exactly the ideal time of year for an out-door photo shoot here in Texas. But, Kathleen was not going to let a little Texas Heat get in her way. And, I'm thrilled to report that everyone made it through the 104 degree temps with great attitudes and beautiful smiles!

Any idea what the most important photography tool of the day was?...A box of Kleenex to wipe away the sweat (mine included).

Kathleen chose the Farmers Branch Historical Park for their setting. Her family grew up in Dallas/Richardson but quickly moved to Farmers Branch as soon as she could, so she wanted to capture a bit of that history in her photographs. What a charming place! I absolutely adore all the old buildings, front porches, and wonderful textures. Better yet - I didn't have to put up with the crowds that I normally find at the Dallas Arboretum. Bonus!

It was my first time to shoot at the park, though, so I called up the park ahead of time to find out about their photography policy. Derrick and Kim informed me that there is a $100 annual photographer's fee to shoot at the park. Lucky for me, they were running a "Try it Before You Buy It" free session. With no entrance fee to the park or parking fees, I may just have to run back and get me one of those photographer passes after all.

This whole photo shoot was very special to me. Though I had never met Kathleen's family before, I felt right at home. That very morning, my own family and I had driven back from Bay City and Corpus Christi from visiting my husband's ailing grandparents. I wish that my husband and own children had some great casual real-life pictures like this with them. It meant so much to me to be able to capture some beautiful family pictures for this family. I especially poured my heart into capturing the special relationships - as I know years from now those memories will be priceless treasures.

Take a look at this beautiful family!


Okay, look at that last picture one more time. Check out those HEELS! Even mom is wearing them. You ladies look gorgeous! I'm definitely going to have to learn how to walk in heels like that, because they are super HOT!

I had a feeling Kathleen would like this picture of her daughter Aimee. Isn't she beautiful?


Grandpa was so great during this whole session. He was up for anything. What a friendly person! I love his smile and his positive outlook on life.


Kathleen's only grandchild, Roger, put his baseball jacket on for this last shot. What a trouper. This is the look he gave me when I asked him to give me his "bad boy baseball look". He's trying so hard not to laugh. It cracked me up!


Can't you just imagine the good old days? The days before television when grandparents and grandchildren used to sit on the porch and play dominoes. The only thing missing in this picture is a couple bottles of vintage Coke-a-Cola (which I'm sure they would have really enjoyed after spending an hour in the Texas heat!).


Kathleen wanted a picture with the old Train Station in the background. I processed this image with an old-time coloring to add to the nostalgic feel. I'm thinking...family Christmas card!


I absolutely loved my time with this family!

Thanks, again, Kathleen for such a wonderful day!

4 comments:

  1. I think this might be my favorite photo session that you've ever posted on here. The shots turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, these are GREAT!! I know the family was thrilled with these. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE--can't say it enough--your composition and that great shot of grandson and grandad high fiving! You did a great job on these! And, the colors look great on this end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and the Mom, and Mom of Mom are SUPER...they are gorgeous ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all beautiful photos. My Mom will enjoy them also. It's wonderful to see the whole family together. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!