Friday, April 27, 2012

The Dallas Arboretum: Through the Eyes of my Canon 100 mm Macro Lens {Dallas Landscape Photographer}{Dallas Children's Photographer}{Dale Chihuli}

Alden and I headed out to the Dallas Arboretum earlier this week to meet up with my son Stephen's class for their second grade field trip. After we parted ways with Stephen, Alden and I had roughly 45 minutes to walk around and enjoy the gardens. I was armed with my Canon 5D Mark II. Alden was armed with her daddy's very shock resistant (meaning you can drop it from up to 6 feet with little to no damage) point and shoot.

We were both happy - cameras in hand - snapping away!

Believe it or not, I decided to pack light and carry only one lens this time around. My Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro lens fit the bill perfectly. (I know that's a mouthful, but my photography friends will appreciate the details.)

In my experience this lens has been very versatile - as good of a portrait lens (for pictures of Alden) as it is a macro lens (for pictures of the Arboretum landscape). When using this lens, I always shoot in manual mode. I also find it works best (for me anyway) to focus manually when hand-holding (shooting without a tripod).

All-in-all, I love this lens! It is a favorite of mine for sure (second only to my 70-200 mm f/2.8).

Does it take good pictures?

I'm pretty pleased!

















I can't decide if I like this image of Alden better in color or in black and white.

I'd love to hear what you think?


If you have not been out to the Dallas Arboretum yet this year, I hope you've enjoyed this little (or rather lengthy) preview - along with a couple pictures of my sweet little girl. Dale Chihuli's glass sculpture work is amazing - a must see. His creativity inspires me! I only wish the Arboretum would have roped off his stunning work with something other than construction tape. His work deserves better than that.


Enjoy Spring, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!