Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Guess This Location & a B&W Tutorial

My friend Margaret and I went on a little excursion yesterday to check out a new location (for both of us anyway). We came across some pretty interesting sites. That's for sure. It was so rejuvenating to be out with another photographer exploring the creative potential of a new and fascinating location.

Here are a few surprising images taken during yesterday's outing. Let's see how well you know our area? Can you guess the location? Leave your answer in the comments section below.

To be truthful, only one of these images give the answer away. The others are just images I thought you'd like to see - images that reflect something other than the portrait photographer in me - the artsy side, dare I say.





Though freaky and not the normal content of this blog, this last image is a great example of what to look for in a classic black and white image. In creating black and white compositions, be sure to look for a broad spectrum of tones from the darkest blacks to the whitest whites with lots of medium grey tones in between. This along with strong shapes and lines add a sense of depth and drama to a black and white image - helping it make the transition from a good image to a great one.

The location Margaret and I explored today was perfect for creating these classic black and white shots. Where were we? I'll post the answer next week after I return from California.

2 comments:

  1. I know, I know! Don't worry...I won't ruin it. LOVE the black and whites! You did a fabulous job! Can't wait to see your session there!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, I love the first picture. You have a great artsy side too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!